Last weekend we returned to Iowa City for the first time. It was great to be back. Driving into town we heard Isabelle shout from the back, "Turn here, Mom. That's the road to home!" Ahhh...so sweet. We were able to visit all of our favorite places. Bochner Chocolates, Wilson's Orchard, Mercer Park. But most importantly, we were able to see all of our friends. On Saturday we were joined by the Conlons, Smiths, and Kristen for a morning at the orchard. It was HOT! I had forgotten already that this is Iowa. We didn't even pack any shorts! It was just a bit miserable. But the fact that we were back at Wilson's and with friends made it totally worth it! We started out by digging in to hot, fresh apple turnovers. Why wait until the end? Yummy! I think Tess ate two herself! Then it was on the tractor, through the creek and over the hills to find the best apple known to man--Song of September. There were litterally bushels of them. We picked as many as we could carry and made the trek back up the hill to the store. Unfortunately, my camera was out of batteries so no photos. Bummer. Here are some pictures of past visits to the orchard.

Mr. "Chug" Wilson driving the tractor. Love the hat!

Isabelle amongst the trees "taste testing".

The stream that runs through the orchard.

We also make a trip to the orchard for pumpkins.
After the orchard it was on to Mercer Park. The Struves, Smiths, Conlons, and Teets joined us for a picnic. It was just right sitting under the shelter with a slight breeze. The ladies chatted and the kids got a game of kickball going. Just like old times.
No trip to Iowa City would be complete without a visit to Bochner Chocolates. Eric Bochner has brought in the best ingredients from around the world to create his sinfully delicious confections. A friend bought me a "9 box" which of course I did NOT share with my kids. Sorry. Mommy's chocolate..hands off! Each one looks like a gem. Almost too beautiful to eat...almost.


Of course on Sunday we attended Grace Community Church. We haven't found a home church yet in Wausau, so being back amongst or brothers and sisters in Christ brought tears to my eyes. The music, the message, and the fellowship made for an amazing morning. We were truly blessed by our faith family. They organized a brunch for us after the first service and we were able to catch up over coffee, doughnuts, and egg bake--my favorite!
It was a quick weekend but packed with fun from start to finish. We miss you Iowa City!
2 comments:
AAAhhhhh, we missed it!! We will be back in just over a month. It won't be right to not see your family there! We used to get Bochner chocolates from patients as thank yous and from the doctors at Christmas. I forgot to miss them yet (I think that sentence makes sense...)
Loved hearing about your visit!
Travis
We did miss Old Man Wilson this year for sure!! We love that place. :) We missed you too - we are hoping to go back to good old Iowa very soon! Hopefully somehow tied in with an International Flight, if you know what I mean!!
I pray that you will find a home church soon. We found our new church on the 3rd try and WOW, God does know what He is doing!! www.woodmenvalleychapel.org & we feel very much at home, which I didn't think was possible, since Grace was my "first" church - my birthplace so to speak - though, as I said, God doesn't exist in four walls...Thanks to service & projects & BIble Studies & Women's Minsistry, we have been able to grow so much..my prayer is that for you guys too!!!
I was going to email you & tell you that my sons LOVe the panda bear. I have 3 hours twice a week alone with each one of them. They each use this time to love on the bear and they each have a different name for him (Carter=Fluff Ball, Cole=Bubbles) it is funny cause the other night they both wanted him at night, both claiming him for their very own & calling him by their designated names.. - they realized that they were both claiming him & I had to interject & remind them that ALAS, he belonged to neither ;) I tried to tell them he was a collectible and came from Germany, etc, etc - they just sat him at the table on the chair beside them at breakfast and said "Yeah?" Sigh....He will be loved on before Mya even gets to meet him!!
Post a Comment