It's that time of year again. Time to set up the tree. This year was special for several reasons. Most notably, Dr. Hogan was able to be home for the trimming. I don't believe he has joined us for the last 6 years, so that was something to shout about. Also new this year was the actual tree. We decided that the 'Charlie Brown' tree we bought from the stuff mart EIGHT years ago, had had enough. We put it out of its misery and bought a new 7 1/2 ft. pre-lit tree. It went up in a snap and without any expletives uttered due to tangled lights. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? What good is it that the MAN is home if there are no lights to put on the tree? Nevermind that I spent the day after Thanksgiving for the last 6 years untangling lights while trying NOT to swear and being surrounded by various numbers of kiddos ranging in age from 6-infant who love to 'help'! No bitterness here! This year we also enjoyed the addition of Kristen to the festivities. I hope she enjoyed herself. When I told her of our plans to trim the tree while she was visiting, I am certain she had visions of a warm fire, humming carols, and sipping cider while each of us peacefully took turns hanging our sentimental ornaments. Not so much! I will let your imaginations soar as you try to visualize the actual scene. But let me just say there was no blood shed.
Monday, December 1, 2008
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
It's that time of year again. Time to set up the tree. This year was special for several reasons. Most notably, Dr. Hogan was able to be home for the trimming. I don't believe he has joined us for the last 6 years, so that was something to shout about. Also new this year was the actual tree. We decided that the 'Charlie Brown' tree we bought from the stuff mart EIGHT years ago, had had enough. We put it out of its misery and bought a new 7 1/2 ft. pre-lit tree. It went up in a snap and without any expletives uttered due to tangled lights. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? What good is it that the MAN is home if there are no lights to put on the tree? Nevermind that I spent the day after Thanksgiving for the last 6 years untangling lights while trying NOT to swear and being surrounded by various numbers of kiddos ranging in age from 6-infant who love to 'help'! No bitterness here! This year we also enjoyed the addition of Kristen to the festivities. I hope she enjoyed herself. When I told her of our plans to trim the tree while she was visiting, I am certain she had visions of a warm fire, humming carols, and sipping cider while each of us peacefully took turns hanging our sentimental ornaments. Not so much! I will let your imaginations soar as you try to visualize the actual scene. But let me just say there was no blood shed.
Posted by
Cindy and company
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
What's the word we like to use...idyllic? Yeah - that's me. Don't judge me, but I am skipping the tree trimming this year. Idyllic isn't even on the horizon!!!
Your tree looks beautiful. I don't think there is a family in the world who doesn't bicker over the tangled lights and "helping" hands!! We will miss all that fun this year too since we are skipping the tree here...
Cindy, First I can hear you muttering beautiful words under your breath while untangling the lights. Second, I am a little sad you let the charlie brown tree go, but delighted to see a picture of the replacement tree. Third, I am sure the tree trimming ceremony was a wonderful Hogan fun filled occasion. I am only sorry I wasn't there too! Love you all!
Post a Comment