I began with the kite cake. This one was a cinch. I found directions online for the shape and decorating ideas. And this one wasn't made from a box. It was a homemade chocolate cake and it was GOOD, if I do say so myself. The hardest part about this one was deciding what color to frost it. I ended up just using the leftover frosting from Jesse's birthday a week earlier. But I mixed the colors together. I used pretzel rods for the kite posts, licorice for the outline and tail, fruit roll-ups for the bows, and marshmallows for the clouds. Don't know if you can see it really well, but the clouds are holding the three candles.
Here is Teresa blowing out the candles with a help from Aiden Holm, one of her little buddies.
In case you are wondering "what on earth is she wearing?" (above)let me explain. Teresa was definately into dress up this particular day. Here she is in her sparkly dress for dancing. Its a bit big for her (drags on the floor) so she puts the arm holes over her head and crosses them to ensure the dress won't fall off. Very chic.
And below we see Teresa modeling her polynesian outfit (one of Isabelle's summer shirts tied around her neck). Apparently this is appropriate attire for blowing bubbles and drawing with sidwalk chalk on one's birthday. With Teresa is the more modest Andie Von Haden, another good friend of hers.
We invited the Holms, Von Hadens and Johnsons to help us celebrate. Altogether that's 16 kids and 8 adults. We grilled Hot Dogs (Teresa's favorite), brats (we are in Wisconsin) and kielbasa. I made up a pot of my mom's famous baked beans, and put together some potato salad. Round it out with cake and ice cream and you've got a party! The kids jumped on the tramp, colored on the sidewalk, blew bubbles, paddled around the lake, did a little fishing, and walked the trails. We didn't have any major incidents. Just a minor one when the neighbor boy, Ben, fell into the pond! No injuries, just a little wet! Everyone had a good time. We didn't find time to actually fly the kites, but Teresa didn't seem to mind. Happy Birthday, Teresa!




2 comments:
You are a super star mom! Love the kite cake! Excellent work! Looks like a great party! Love the dress choice Teresa! Wish we could have been there to help you celebrate ;0) Missing you!
What fun! I wish you were my mom!! I love that cake and will definitly have to copy it...just not this year because everyone will remember it!! I was just wondering what in the heck she was wearing when you went into the explanation! LOVE it!
Post a Comment