Today was the first day of Hogan's Homeschool. We survived. Dare I say, we even thrived! Last night I took the time to explain the strategy of the day with the kids. I suggested that Thomas, who has trouble concentrating, do his math first thing in the morning when it is quiet. Before doing anything else, he is to do his math. I told them that wake-up time is 7am, breakfast at 7:30, walk the dogs at 8am, and school starts at 8:30 SHARP! This didn't work out as planned mostly because my eyes didn't pop open until 7:17! Much to my amazement Thomas had been up since 6:14! And he'd already finished his math. YES!
The day continued to go well. We left for the library at 9:15. While there each child took turns watching Jesse and Teresa while another one looked for the items on their book list. I was helping to find the books for Michael and Isabelle. This was the first time that we went to the library and left with all of the books we were looking for and DID NOT have a screaming toddler in tow! Could this be for real?
Once home I quickly went about making lunch while the kids played outside together. Once lunch was finished the little ones went down for naps and the older kids got into their studies. Hattie and Thomas are starting a new curriculum called TRISMS and it begins in ancient Egypt. Michael and Isabelle are beginning a unit study on Roots and Relations published by Christian Cottage. Saxon is still our math program of choice except for Michael who will begin Miquon. We are also trying out a new poetry memorization study. So far so good. But who wouldn't want to recite a fun poem like this?
Ooey Gooey was a worm
A mighty worm was he.
He stepped uopn the railroad tracks,
The train he did not see.
OOEY GOOEY!
author unknown
We finished up with reading around 2pm. Yipee!!!
Just when I thought things couldn't get better Teresa came running inside "Mom, I have to pee!" She marched into the bathroom as I checked out my email. A few moments later with much surprise she exclaimed, "MOM I WENT POOP!" I ran into the bathroom and sure enough, she had done it! I immediately began to sing the super dooper pooper song while jumping up and down (lyrics provied upon request)!
It seems our school year is off to a great start! Praise and Honor and Glory to God!




7 comments:
lyrics please!
You are a super duper pooper.
You can potty with the best.
No more diapers to get in the way.
We are really impressed.
You are a super duper pooper.
You know when you have to go. Holy Cow! You're a big kid now! You're the best pooper we know!
So glad to hear you had a great start to the school year! I hope it continues to go smoothly for you. The last 24 hrs has been very stressful for me! My grandpa Bob had a heart attack yesterday and went to the Bemidji ER last evening about 9pm. He was flown to Innovis at Fargo and arrived there by 1am. Grandma and I left for Fargo this AM after the boys got on the bus. Grandpa had an echocardiogram this AM then he underwent angioplasty with placement of 2 stents. He is doing better now thankfully. I'm trying to post updates on FB as I get time that way I can inform more people at once and spread the word. It has been hard to make a lot of phone calls due to hosp regulations, cell reception, etc.
BUT, in other news, Avery and Ashton had a great day today! Ash was very excited to get on the bus and he found that he knew some kids in his class from preschool and bball! To top it off, he lost his first tooth TONITE!!! he's pumped!! They sure grow fast :( Where'd my baby go?!
Have a great day tomorrow! Please check FB for more updates if interested
Love Bren :)
You are a super mom! Miss you lots and glad school is going well!
I forgot to tell you - you have awesome kids - so smart, well behaved and kind!! Your hard work shines through!!
YEA TERESA!!! ATTA GIRL, YOU MAKE AUNTIE PROUD!! :)
Well done, Cindy and Company!!! There is nothing like a good start. A favorite credo of mine is: begin as you intend to go on. Looks like you did!
Love you!!!
Oh, yeah, gotta love those lyrics! I am so excited to hear about your first day of school! Almost makes me want to homeschool again...almost! Love to you all! I pray your entire week goes as well as the first day (I will pray for next week next week...one week at a time!!)
Post a Comment