Our family had just returned from a vacation to France. It really wasn’t as much of a vacation as it was an exercise in encouragement. You see we went to France to visit a dear missionary couple that we support. They had been completing their language training in Marseille for a year before making their final trasition to full time service in Guinea, West Africa. Our desire was to let them know they are loved, precious, prayed for, and supported. We felt led to demonstrate our love for them by visiting. It was a sweet time of fellowship. One that I will treasure. Unfortunately, our entire family wasn’t able to experience this joy. We had to make the difficult decision to leave the youngest two members of our family home. Traveling abroad with a 5 and 3 year old would just be too stressful on them and us.
But God is good. Upon returning home we found out that this same couple would be coming home very briefly in order to see family before traveling to Africa. We also learned that they would be attending our local church one Sunday of their short stay. That precious day my little Teresa ran to Katie with open arms and a face all lit up! She wrapped her arms tightly around her knees and said, “I’m so happy to see you! I’ve missed you!”. Katie, of course, gave her hugs back. Then Kyle got his hands on her. It was a touching moment that I’ll never forget.
Immediately when we returned home that Sunday Teresa stated she was going up stairs to get a gift for Katie. She took off up the stairs. A few minutes later she came back to the kitchen holding a package. She had rolled her present in tissue paper and tied each end with ribbon. It looked like a giant tootsie roll--beautiful. She was so proud. I praised her for her work and then she said, “Now I need a bag!” Off she ran again. This time she came back with a small blue gift bag into which she had place the present. As an added touch she included a small pink flower--perfect! I was so impressed with what she’d done. But I still didn’t know what the package contained. Bending low I asked, “Teresa, what is in the bag?” She started to sob. Placing her tiny hand over her eyes she replied through whimpers, “My little blue elephant.” Confused I asked, “But why are you crying?” “Because, (sob) I still (sob) really like him.” “Then why are you giving him away?“ I asked. “Because, I think Katie really needs him.“ With tears now in my eyes I kneeled down beside her and held her in my arms. In a whisper I explained, “You know, Teresa, when we take the best that we have and give it to someone who needs we call that sacrificial giving. And that’s the type of giving Jesus likes best.” Still sobbing she whispered, “Okay.”
That little blue gift remained on the kitchen counter for over a week. I didn’t even know how I would get it to Katie as their schedule was so full with family. But one evening just as our family was gathering for some late dessert the doorbell rang. It was Kyle and Katie! We greeted them with hugs and kisses. Then Teresa ran to get her gift. With great pride and no hesitation she handed it over to Katie.
Lord, teach me to give like Teresa!
We've learned that Little Blue Elephant has been an encouragement to Kyle and Katie over the past few months. And he had his own visit to Paris! We've also learned that Kyle and Katie have made it safely to their new home in Guinea, West Africa! I can't wait to see what adventures Little Blue Elephant experiences there.




3 comments:
Oh Cindy, with tears in my eyes I pray I am able to give like Teresa too! I praise the Lord for you my friend! Those kids are so blessed to have such a wonderful mom and dad who are teaching them about the Lord. I miss your heart and I miss sitting with you and your big cup of Joe! Love and Hugs from ND!
What a wonderful and touching story! Your kids have amazing parents and they have learned by your great example! I know you give more than you probably realize and you have given so much just by teaching your kids about your awesome faith! And of course, what a wonderful, kind heart your little Teresa has, we all can learn from her! I pray that we (I) can all slow down during our busy lives to take time out to remember to do these things that could really make a difference in someone else's life. I know I'm guilty of being "too busy" to take the time and then let the opportunity slip by. Thank you for sharing. I pray that I am able to give like Teresa in the future too! Love you!,
I think what i love the most about this is that it was Teresa's idea. Even though it was hard, in her heart, she wanted Katie to have Little Blue Elephant more than her! Sometimes, I am able to give,but it's often not my idea (even if I AM cheerful about it it) I also really love that Teresa has already been blessed by knowing How LBE has blessed Katie!
And now, LBE has blessed all of us who have read about her! May we all learn to give without abandon!
Post a Comment