
The colors: top rt--wall color, bottom left--island formica, bottom right--all other formica, top left--accent color (think Martha Stewart vintage green)
We decided to get started with painting this weekend. But first alot of wallpaper had to come down. We started Friday night. The kids had a great time helping "tear down the walls". But there was a surprise--not one, but TWO layers of paper! What fun! That means that we get to score the first layer, spray with water, scrape off top vinyl. Then spray again to remove paper backing. Followed by another scoring of second layer, removal of vinyl top and spray again to remove final paper backing. And if that isn't enough, we will give it one more spray down to remove any remaining paper backing and glue. Sound fun? Oh, yeah, baby.
Totally 80's
Tom actually is enjoying the process. Something about picking at it and seeing just how large of a section he can remove. Whenever I come into the kitchen, there he is trying to pick off some more.
For all you DIYers out there, we have discovered that the most economical and effective stripper (there is a joke here but I am not going there) is fabric softener mixed with water. Its cheap and the whole house smells downy fresh!
That's all for now. Tune in next time when we'll talk about repairing drywall that has been damaged from wallpaper removal ;)




3 comments:
Wow, I do not envy all your work. What a sense of accomplishment when you are finished...next year!! I actually love a project like this as long as its not my house! Wish I could come hang out and pick at the wall paper with you!
Travis
I feel every ounce of your pain. We have some fancy tile that I don't think is coming off. Wall-paper would be a blessing compared to it!!!
Two layers of wallpaper...ugh! I removed the small amount of wallpaper in the family room (one layer) and that was enough for me. I used the tool recommended for making small holes in the wallpaper so the water can penetrate and loosen the glue. I wasn't please with the results because the tool actually cut into the paper on the underlying sheetrock. This caused gouging of the sheetrock. So I discontinued using the tool, scraped off the vinyl, wet the paper then scraped it off. This worked well and went relatively fast. I'm anxious to see the results of your remodeling efforts.
Post a Comment