Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Frightfully Good Time




"This is the best Halloween ever!" Those were the words from Isabelle as she enjoyed her dinner of Spiderweb Pizza, Werewolf Fingers with Bloody Dipping Sauce (breadsticks with marinara), Fish Eggs (pomegranate seeds), Chilled Brains (watermelon Jell-o), and Eyeball Highballs (sprite with special 'eyeball' icecubes). Isabelle and Michael helped to decorate the table complete with leaves and acorns down the center, tealights, flying bats, and their decorated pumpkins. You'll notice that we didn't carve the pumpkins. That event always ends up with Tom and I at the kitchen table slaving over the kids pumpkins for 3 hours! This year we bought some sticky craft foam and let the kids at it. Soooo much easier and much more fun. Anyway, after our feast Tom took the kids around the neighborhood to trick-or-treat. I stayed home with the 1 non-participant (Hattie), a Princess who just couldn't find the right dress (Teresa), and the baby. While the ghouls were gone Hattie and I prepared the outdoor scavenger hunt. With reflective tape we put one kid's intial on a paper lunch sack which was filled with candy. Each child had 2 bags. Hattie and I hid one bag for each child in the front yard and one in the back (I hid Hattie's). When the treaters returned home they were each given a flashlight. They had to run around the property trying to find their bags. It turned out really well. Hattie, who was pretty confident that she would find her's first, was actually the last one the find both her bags (Mom's not as dumb as she looks). They had a great time! Then it was inside for the obligatory 'candy trading'. After that they quickly changed into their pjs while Tom and I made popcorn. We all sat down together to watch 'The Wizard of Oz'. The movie was a bit more difficult to find than I anticipated. The only copy we were able to obtain was one made for the visually impaired. Each time the scene changed there was a voiceover describing it. It was really funny. I told the kids that we should watch with our eyes closed to get the full effect! I also suggested that the movie be a 'sing-along'. Teresa would have none of that and quickly said "Mom, shut-up" in her sweetest little voice as I began to sing 'follow the yellow brick road'. Pouting princess, voiceovers, and lack of singing all tolled, it was still a frightfully good time! Now, some of you may be wondering if Tom and I enjoyed the feast as well. Of course not! I'm not eating that stuff! We sat down to a lovely dinner of filet mignon, baked potato, salad, and a brewsky secretly prepared during the candy trading. Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

You are like the BEST MOM - EVER!!!!

Cindy and company said...

Thanks for the encouragement Sara! But the reality is not as sweet as the pictures. I had some 'Martha Moments' in there if you know what I mean!

Prachar family said...

Wow, I am exhausted from all your work preparing and pulling off the coolest party EVER!! My kids are not allowed to read about your festivities!! They think I am cool because I like Skillet and that is enough for them for now...

David Goeddertz said...

Sounds like a great time for one and all. Certainly a Halloween celebration the children will remember and convey to their children!

Love,
Dad