Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jesse!


I bought the biggest, brightest bouquet of balloons I could find for our little guy's birthday. All primary colors, of course, for the 1st birthday. Anyone catch that? Jesse loves to play with balloons. And yes, we know that all of the professionals warn against this. You amateurs should probably not attempt it. But for us seasoned parents anything goes!


I made a triple layer Italian Cream Cake for the occassion. Trouble is that two layers had to be chisled out of the pan. Drat!! A boxed white confetti cake made a fine substitution. I'm growing. We decorated around the base with frosted vanilla wafers. Thanks, for your help, Sarah! I got the idea for a big taper candle in the center from the internet and we frosted it, too. Can never have enough frosting! Especially when it's homemade buttercream--yum. I haven't grown so much as to buy canned frosting---yet.


Jesse had no trouble devouring his cake with his 4 NEW TEETH!!! Yep, he finally cut them in--2 top and 2 bottom.


He loved his cake! Funny, he didn't seem to mind that it was a boxed mix. I don't even think he cared about the pink bib. Whatever works, right?


We invited some friends over to celebrate with us. We had a great time with the Von Hadens and Hintzes. The kids paddled around the pond, walked on the wooded trails, flew kites in the front field, and jumped themselves silly on the trampoline. A wild and wacky time was had by all 14 kids!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I can't believe he is 1! I still remember eating dinner with you the night before he was born and being surprised to find you three at the hospital the next day! Nice work on the cake and I wish we could have been there to help celebrate ;0)

Andy Magness said...

Looks like a GREAT time! I have to take some cake decorating lessons from you, Cin. And by the way, no worries about the box cake. I hear they've come a long way with the boxed cakes but not very far with the store-bought frosting, so you did it just right :)
(Of course the person from whom I received this information also buys cookie dough from the refrigerated section at the grocery store)

Anonymous said...

Jesse from the looks of it your mom once again had another wonderful birthday celebration for one of her children. Cindy you make birthdays sooo special! God Bless
Mom

Prachar family said...

Happy birthday sweet baby boy! I can't believe he's already one!! Looks like a great time and a beautiful cake!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

He's 1 & I've never even met him. Sniff.

You did a GREAT job with the cake, it is adorable!!

I laughed at your balloon comment cause as I type. my daughter grabbed Sophie's new "greenie" treats and said, "Mya try" - I said, sure, you go right ahead!!!!!