Four years ago during our first year of homeschooling with Thomas and Hattie while studying light and color I came across this fun activity. We make a color wheel using Nilla wafers and the three primary colors of frosting. I purchase the frosting at the local bakery because their frosting is much brighter than you can make at home. Each child mixes his own secondary and intermediate colors and then places his cookies in the appropriate place on the color wheel. I was able to make the color wheel again this year as I am teaching Isabelle and Michael the same unit.
Everyone had a good time learning. It gave Teresa practice learning her colors. Michael had a mini quiz over the primary, secondary, and intermediate colors and how light allows us to see them. And Isabelle had to write a three paragraph report on light and color. Here is what she wrote:
I have been lerning about light. Light is a form of Energy like a fire giveing off heat. the sun gives heat to the earth. the sun reflecs on the moon to make it brite. the moon Does not shine.
Without light there would not be coler. White light contains the colers of the rainbow. In scince class a rainbow is cald a spectrom. the two primary colers make green (blue & yellow).
We lernd about light & coler & did some experiments. I took a mirror & paper and the sun made a reflection. I took a magnifying glass and a leaf & fride it. I wrote my name backwards and looked in the mirror. I made a coler weel out of Nilla and frosting. YUM YUM.
Great Job, Isabelle!
(In this type of report I am looking for content of knowledge. I am aware of the spelling and punctuation mistakes. We are working on this in other subjects.)
Michael decided to make a Krabby Patty with his cookies.




4 comments:
Cool! Your teaching ability and creativity amazes me! You are like Super Mom!!
I love Isabelle's report- Great Job Isabelle! I appreciate seeing the spelling and grammar mistakes, and I think it is great that you grade it for content and work on the other areas separately! That is so important at this age!! I have to remind myself of the same with Avery - I am such a spelling freak! Mispellings are such a pet peave of mine and his teacher reminds us that they only focus on grammar and spelling during those subjects and otherwise it is the content that counts!! You do a fabulous job Cindy! Keep it up!!
Cindy -
I'm inspired. Keegan and I have been working on the primary colors, too. We were using bath tablets by mixing them in his bath to create a new color. So far we've only caught on to "yellow and blue make green." And then I found out the primary colors are actually cyan, magenta and yellow, rather than red, blue and yellow. Good thing I have the benefit of your homeschooling knowledge to turn to when the ball really gets rolling! Love you!!
I miss you more and more, especially when I read fun posts like this one! Wish we could have joined you for a lesson and some delicious snacks ;0) Love you lots!
You are like the BEST Mom EVER!!!!! A local bakery..I am so jealous ;)
Post a Comment