Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mosaics

We have been studying ancient civilizations over the past few months. For the last few weeks we have been studying Rome. Our new curriculum doesn't have alot of art projects so I have had to come up with some myself. Last week we worked on mosaics. The Romans were the first people to do work in mosaic forms.

For our project I went to Sherwin Williams and asked if I could have one of each of their 100 paint sample cards. Then we cut them up into little squares. The kids each made a drawing which they then copied onto a piece of poster board. Then they filled in the drawing with different colored "tiles". I think they enjoyed it. Since I have a bunch of leftover paint samples I have decided to put them to good use. I have taken magnetic strip and cut it into small squares. I then place the magnets onto the paint sample and cut out the magnet. Once I cut out hundreds of these the kids will be able to create mosaics on cookie sheets and use the "tiles" over and over again. We would also like to try it again with broken pottery pieces. We will be on the lookout at Goodwill for cheap colored plates that we will break into pieces (sounds like a Michael job) and use them to make stepping stones.

Thomas' mosaic

Isabelle's mosaic

2 comments:

David Goeddertz said...

Great idea and sounds like fun.

Football and Fried Rice said...

We love mosiacs! Cole made one in the shape of a cross last year. I heart it ;)