The pups are doing great! They are growing way too fast and tip the scales at about 25lbs each. At only 14 weeks of age that's kinda scary. We had them at the vet for shots last week and that was also kinda scary. Let me explain...They were scheduled to receive their 2nd Distemper and 1st Lyme vaccinations. No big deal. Take them in, get the shot, go home, pretty simple. As we (Me, Thomas, Isabelle, and Michael)were leaving the office I asked for an appointment card as a reminder of their scheduled surgery. I was told to just wait in the lobby and the nurse would bring it to me. As we waited, Trevor threw up. No big deal. Tile floor. It must have been all of those doggie treats they gave him in order to get his weight and give him the shot. About 30 seconds later he throws up again! This time the receptionist calls the nurse who then takes Trevor back to the Dr. to further examine him. Just about a minute later, Teddy starts to gag. Another nurse quickly scoops him up and takes him to the back. At this point I am just thinking "why so much fuss about two dogs who ate too many treats?" I had no idea it was possible for dogs to react to vaccinations. But that is exactly what happened. Teddy had a mild reaction to the vaccine but Trevor had an anaphylactic reaction and needed epinephrine and steroids to aid his breathing! I am fairly certain that had I not requested that appointment card, Trevor would have died in the car on the way home. Can you imagine? As it was, they kept the pups for a few hours of observation then sent them home. We had to give them Benadryl twice a day for 3 days just to be on the safe side. It was a scary ordeal and we are very happy they both pulled through.
At least we were until....
...Teresa got in between Teddy and his bone today. Teddy was lying by the door chewing on his favorite rawhide bone when Teresa decided to join him. As she lifted her hand to pet him, he felt threatened and bit her on the cheek. I have never seen a pup bite a child before, much less my own! It was definately scary. Teddy was very forcefully escorted outside while we tended to Teresa's wounds. No stitches were needed even though one small section looks a bit deep. She wouldn't let anyone touch it for quite some time. But later this afternoon I was able to give her owie a kiss. As I was making dinner tonight, I looked down and there was Teresa sitting beside Teddy on the floor. She was petting him and he was licking her face. Very sweet. Now the question is "Should he stay or should he go now?"
p.s. Did you notice the new flooring?




1 comment:
Oh, NO, no, no! So sorry this happened! What an impossible decision. What a forgiving little one! I thought the reactions were the scary part, that was just a puppy's life in the balance. Wow, praying for God's wisdom for you on this one.
Post a Comment