Wednesday, October 20, 2010

By the Spirit

Yesterday morning was not good. I was frustrated because the kids weren't getting ready as quickly as I wanted them to. When I was ready to start our Bible study, Hattie was missing. She was still in the bathroom--1hr 20 min after I got her out of bed (which was 9 am to boot!). I was mad! Yelling, screaming at her to get up here so we could start. That's when it happened. Isabelle mumbled that this life is not fair. I asked her what she meant. She said, "well, you are always telling us to be kind, and gentle and not to shout. But you are not kind, or gentle, and you are always shouting. I don't get this world." OUCH! Please pray for me as I begin this morning. Could it be a morning without a raised voice? By the power of the Spirit--YES IT CAN!!!

We are going through a 12 lesson study of the tabernacle. Interestingly enough, once we got to our Bible study we learned about the laver. The laver is a basin that is set inside just behind the brazen alter and just before the tent of the meeting. The brazen altar is where the Israelites would atone for or cover their sin and the laver is where they would wash themselves clean before entering the tent of the meeting, the place where they would come into the presence of God. Our study asked us to read Hebrews 10:22 and apply it to believers today. Okay. So the implication of the laver is that we have been forgiven through Christ's work on the cross--"having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience"--but we still need to be washed to prepare us for serving him--having "our bodies washed with pure water." We need to acknowledge and repent of our sins, cleanse our minds of fleshly deires, and become more Christ-like in action. But how do we wash ourselves? Ephesians 5:25-27 We need to cleanse ourselves through reading the Word daily and applying it to our lives.

This is not a one time occurance. It needs to be done daily. Through reading and prayer and the power of the spirit we can be cleansed and live an abundant spirit filled life. SO why is this not happening at our house? Luke 11:9-10 teaches us to ask, seek, and knock. Ask and it will be given to you, but then SEEK. Hmmm...maybe I need to do a bit more of that. Yes, I am asking for the Spirit and God will graciously give it to me, but I then need to LIVE and SEEK him. What if I don't? I mean what if I confess, and repent, and ask and then I'm still shouting? Then KNOCK. KNOCK on the door and ASK again! Our God is good and he gives good gifts. He wants the best for his children and will gladly give them all that they need so that they can enjoy the fruit of the Spirit and live a life that glorifies Him.



This is our new family song. We sing it before we open the Word each day. It is truly my prayer for our family.

3 comments:

David Goeddertz said...

Children can be brutally honest! The significance of Isabelle's confession isn't so much what she said, although that is important too, but that she felt she COULD say it openly and without fear of retribution. That you can chalk up to good parenting!

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a beautiful song! It should be the anthem of all of our hearts. That we not only open the Word, but that we allow God to SPEAK to us through His word!

I agree with your brother - what a wonder that Isabelle felt safe enough to talk to you and what a valuable lesson everyone could have missed out on had she lived in fear!

Love you, Cindy!

Becky said...

Wow! I love those teachable moments when my kids confront me...it keeps me accountable and provides examples of redemption. Love you sister! I needed to hear this today!