Challenging (Matthew 4:19)
the
Obedience (Colossians 4:2)
of
Ordinary (2 Corinthians 4:7)
Kids (1Timothy 4:12)
to
Intercede (Colossians 4:3)
for
Every ethne (Matthew 24:14)
I presented this project to our AWANA group 2 weeks ago. The kids seemed really excited. They have to bake some cookies specific to an unreached people group, pray for the people preferrably with neighbors, grandma, grandpa or your school classroom! Then fill out a "My C.O.O.K.I.E. Story" sheet and bring it to me at AWANA. If they do they receive a small reward and a donation is made to our church's Great Commission Fund. I am hoping that this will be an ongoing project. At the end of the year, I will figure out which group (K-2 grade, or 3-6 grade) raised the most money for missions. That group will then receive a larger prize. When I returned to AWANA the following week I received TWO cookie story sheets!! I am very excited to see the kids grab hold of this challenge. Sound like fun? You can join in, too! Google unreached people groups and find one that stirs your heart. Bake some cookies and leave your cookie story in my comments. Can't wait to hear from you!
Here is the letter I sent home to parents that explains the project a little better.
Dear Awana Parents,
I would like to introduce you to the C.O.O.K.I.E project. Challenging the Obedience of Ordinary Kids to Intercede for Every ethne is a project that is near and dear to my heart. The idea is to bake cookies with your child and as you bake, pray for unreached people groups to become “engaged”. This is a project that is intended to include the entire family and is aimed specifically at kids. I don’t know about your house, but in ours when we mention devotions we get groans, eye rolling, and deep sighs. The C.O.O.K.I.E project is an active and fun way to incorporate prayer, Bible study, and devotions into the family routine.
This is how it works. First, choose a people group. Resources about unengaged groups can be found online or check out the Called to Pray booklets at the church. Once you have chosen a group read about them. Research them with your family. Learn all that you can. Then, pick a cookie that in some way symbolizes your chosen people group. Are peanuts a staple food for your people? Add some peanuts to the batter! Live in a desert? A cinnamon sugar dusting on top makes great “sand”. This is the creative part. It can be as simple or elaborate as you like. It’s fun to prayerfully do this. After making the cookies you’ll have treats to share as a bonus. In sharing the finished product with others, you’ll have an instant story to tell, a treat to share, and a very tangible prompt to pray for people who don’t (yet) know Jesus. In my experience, both the treats and the exhortation to pray have been well received, as most followers of Jesus enjoy both praying and cookies.
Would you like to join me in this project? I would like the C.O.O.K.I.E project to be ongoing for the AWANA year. All you have to do is bake cookies and pray. After you have baked your special treat, tell me about it. Fill out the attached form and have your child bring it to me at AWANA. Better yet, bring me a cookie! Your child will receive a special treat and a donation will be made to the Great Commission Fund. By supporting missionaries around the world, the world will know the name of Jesus.
If you would like to join me in the C.O.O.K.I.E project you are more than welcome. Please, first of all pray. Pray that there would be followers of Jesus among every tongue, tribe and nation of the world, according to God’s promise that this will be done! Then, choose your group and start your ovens! I look forward to hearing (and tasting) your stories.
Let His name be known,
Cindy Hogan




2 comments:
Sounds like a fun project and a real learning experience too!
LOVE This! I think I had Kristin's first batch, introducing this. I tried to make them here, and they didn't turn out as good :) How is this going? Still moving forward?
Post a Comment